National Hanging Out Day
April 19, 2018 (and every year after)
April 19th is National Hanging Out Day. It is a day dedicated to encouraging people and communities to learn about the
benefits of air drying laundry.
The benefits of drying clothing on a clothesline or drying rack are...
- It saves energy – a lot of energy. If you stop using your clothes dryer, you will cut your energy bill*
by 8% on average. And that saves you money. (*either gas or electric, depending on your dryer type)
- Your clothes will last longer. Using a clothes dryer abrades and ages your favorite clothing. That stuff
in your lint trap used to be part of your clothes. Shirts and things that are ran through a drier get thin and 'threadbare'
because the fuzzy part of the fabric all gets rubbed off in the drier.
- It's good for your health. You spend a little more time outdoors (fresh air & sunshine). You get to slow down
a little and hear the birds (nature & peace). You get a little exercise (carrying & stretching & bending).
- It's good for the planet. Less energy used means less coal dug up and less gas burned. That lowers carbon
emissions and smokestack pollution.
This really is a USA certified
that started back in 1995. The creation of this official day was promoted by Project Laundry List, which is no longer
active but for many years educated people about the benefits of air drying and washing laundry in cold water. They also
were important in getting “Right to Dry” laws passed in many states. Those laws prevented local Home Owners Associations
(HOA's) and towns from outlawing outdoor clothes drying. Much of the history of the Project Laundry List organization
has been archived at laundrylist.org
April 19th is also National High Five Day this year.
So if you see someone air drying their laundry, be sure to give them a High Five!
Strong and handsome "Made in the USA" laundry tools
Click here to see what we have for you...
- Our clothes drying rack is made with Maple hardwood and plated steel. It rotates, it holds a load of laundry, and it folds up for easy storage.
- The outdoor umbrella clothesline has been in production since 1913 - that's over 100 years! It is super easy to install, easy to maintain, and will last for many many years.
- Our laundry hand washing kit is a great way to keep the mess from work clothes or diapers out of your washing machine. Or use it for all your laundry at cabins and campgrounds.
Page last modified on 2018-03-09
Please visit our Facebook page
and then "Like" us.
Tweet this page to your followers
or follow us